Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quick almond thoughts


Ok, let me start by saying, I hate marzipan (and yes, that means I hate Mozartkugeln as well, marzipan and pistachio - yuck). So one would think I'd skip over perfumes having almond notes, wouldn't one? Nope, that can't be said about me. I ordered samples of Reminiscence Do Re Mi La series (they aren't actually called that I think, but that's how I remember them) and randomly choosing 2 of the 4 I have, both I chose had almond note in them. Even after I read that there is an almond note in them, it didn't register that it might be too much for me, what with all other notes (and there is a whole bunch of notes listed for all of them). Well, I was wrong. And even though they don't smell the same (Do Re and Mi Fa) they smell of almonds (in a way too sweet a manner) that all I can say is, thank god it finally washed off.

I am usually not a person who says bad things about anybody or anything, so I'll temper my initial comments with - if you like almonds and sweet perfume, you are probably going to love these. I don't think they are really bad, I mean I did get some fig in Do Re around that ALMOND, and I enjoyed Mi Fa's cocos citrus opening for the first 2 minutes (before what I thought of as cocos actually turned out to be almond mixed with citruses but not yet recognizable as almond for me). I would so much love to be a fan of sweet but I am not - I don't even eat desserts if they don't come as complete chocolate (Sacher cake is not that, having jam in it- whoever thought that was nice?! - everyone except for me it seems) or as a strudel. So, believe me, something that smells like a child dipped in marzipan and sprinkled with cookies and fruit, is not something that I will wear (I'm not going to say never, because, you know, you never know) ;) - but definitely not in the near future. Honestly, I can't say it doesn't smell happy, since it evoked a child in marzipan for me (and the only person not happy in that situation might be the child's mother) but, I think both of them call for a high sweetness tolerance.

Hmm, it now seems this wasn't so quick and not only on almonds and not really a review, but I had to get it off my chest. :)

Do Re
Head: Green Notes, Fig
Heart: Heliotrope Accord, Almond, Virginia Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Indonesian Patchouli
Base: Infusion of Madagascan Vanilla, Brazilian Tonka Bean, Siamese Benzoin, Musk

Mi Fa
Head: Sicilian Bergamot, Italian Mandarin, Florida Orange, Bitter Almond, French Lavender, Tunisian Rosemary, Indian Mint, Green & Ozone Notes
Heart: Neroli, Tunisian Patite Grain, Madagascan Black Pepper, Jasmine
Base: Brazilian Tonka Bean, Madagascan Vanilla, Virginian Cedarwood, Indonesian Patchouli, Sandalwood, Amber, Musk


P.S. Is it possible that one note can dominate so much to ruin the rest? I mean, I could detect some other notes but only around almond.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think it is possible for a note to overwhelm all or almost all others when it is a note we hate. I have my own theory about why this happens (also why the perfumes we hate seem to last forever and ever on our skin while others fade). Definitely want to share, but need to run to stupid exams studying .... *sigh* wish me luck.. Oh and now I know you're gonna hate one of my reviews today cause it's all about the almond ;) *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with exams! Although I'm pretty sure your knowledge dazzles your professors.
    Can't wait to hear your theory on hateful perfumes beacuse I noticed as well that they tend to stick on the skin longer than the ones I love... :)

    ReplyDelete