Thursday, May 28, 2009

Etat Libre d'orange and Luckyscent

First, I have to say who ever decided to start Luckyscent has my eternal gratitude. :) Especially beacuse they regulary have sample packages that are quite interesting (and most of the time I end up buying them). Therefore, I was very happy when I came home yesterday to find a little package waiting for me although for the life of me, I couldn't remember what was supposed to be in it. I'm quite forgetful these days.

Well, it was the Etat Libre d'Orange sample pack. Yeey! Finally. It is quite impossible not to stumble upon those scents wherever you read so I was very interested to see what it was all about.


Today I decided to take out 2 samples and see how will I like them.

The first I tried was Antiheros and I liked it just fine. The notes listed are 3: lavender, musc and bois (wood notes). It is exactly what you get and it smells great. I like that one very much - you cannot miss the opening lavender and after it subsides a bit, you get some musc and then a little wood and it just smells great. I would wear it definitely but I wouldn't think this might be feminine (lately I love scents that get termed as masculines but you cannot really tell that by smelling them).

I am not going to post all the text accompanying the scents, you can read it on etat libre site if you're interested.

The other one that came out of my bag today is Charogne. Beats the hell out of me how come it is called Beast in English when French wikipedia says it actually means carcass, but there you go. For this one, I was honestly tempted to put the whole text here, because it is about innocent flesh being plucked by the beast (with not very hidden undercurrents). Anyway, I thought it was going to be great, the whole innocent/beast juxtaposition, but it seems I was wrong. Or maybe, my idea of a beast is somewhat different from the rest.

The listed notes are: bergamote, notes de cuir, baies roses, gingembre, accord lys, ylang-ylang, jasmine, encens, vanille naturelle, ambrette absolu, notes animales.

It starts off quite innocently with the barest whiff of cuir and with a somewaht chewing gum idea and it keeps that innocence while vanilla, ylang-ylang make their come out and then I kept waiting for the beast, but it never showed. The perfume did progress to a somewhat less innocent idea, but if that was supposed to be a beast, it was a pretty tame one (and somewhat small because it would neither devour you or scare you). :)


2 comments:

  1. I love both of these, Antiheros is a firm favorite, very elegant and gentlemanly. Charogne is one of my favorites in the line and I do get the leather in it and some delicious leafy decomposition in there (not skin decomposition as the ad copy would suggest) in velvety dark, creamy florals. I think it is yummy and super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, yes, decomposition but I'm afraid animalic notes did not appear. Honestly I'm starting to think my skin does sth to the animalic notes in perfume (i.e. they are either very light or almost non-existent). And it's not that I can't smell them in real life (sometimes too well) but on me, they get subdued.

    ReplyDelete