Thursday, April 28, 2011

Vero Profumo - Onda

How to do this without resorting to same ideas as for Rubj?

I don't want to repeat myself and say I prefer the extrait again (which I do). It's just that the fruity (passion fruity) opening makes me think of candy. You know, combine ginger and fruit and see what you will think of.

So, the extrait starts off very seriously, green and menthol-like with bark and woody hints. I like the opening a lot, it lets you breathe it in with open lungs. And then, it gets a bit problematic for me, getting an oily vetiver quality that does not go well with my stomach (especially when combined with light leathery smokiness). I can't help smelling it and waiting to see if it will disappear. It does and then I can happily state that I'm in love with its character and strength (and it has both in spades).

On the other hand, the edp feels boyish and flashy. You know, if the extrait were a man of strength and character and some years, the edp would be a young, flashy man. Not a bad one, just not yet grown up (psychologically). But you can see after spending time with both, that they must be some kind of family as you recognize the facial features of your man in the young man standing before you.

Edp notes: Bergamot, citron, mandarin, ginger, coriander, basil, passion fruit, iris, ylang-ylang, honey, vetiver Bourbon, patchouli, musk, cedar wood

Extrait notes: vetiver, ginger, mace, coriander

I really don't want you to think the edp is not good because it is. And if I haven't smelled the extrait, I would probably think it was great. But I can't help it when the extrait speaks to me and I want the edp to grow up. And smelling them side by side didn't help much as I kept giving more attention to the extrait even though I noticed the lightheartedness (fruitiness) of edp disappearing and more character showing.

All 3 extraits make me feel like they were given freedom to develop and spread their wings while the edps feel a bit stumped in their growth.  And I have no idea where that came from but it felt right in writing it down.


Notes and pic by: http://www.luckyscent.com/

6 comments:

  1. So interesting. I love how you put your experiences with the Kerns. You make them come alive through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly B, it's not often I get such strong images and ideas when smelling things. But these perfumes don't make you feel anything half-way.
    In any concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review and information! In my testing I'll start with EdP and maybe later will do side by side comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great review, Ines. Even though I've never sniffed the edp's, I know exactly what you're trying to say here -- and I love the way you personified the two (extrait vs edp).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Undina, I think that makes sense. And will ease you into the extraits even though I still think you cannot really prepare yourself for what comes out of the bottle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Suzanne! :-)
    I still think I did a diservice to edps by putting them side by side with extraits.

    ReplyDelete