Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Keiko Mecheri: Scarlett

I still can't believe I thought I didn't like these perfumes. :) But it was at the beginning of my perfume love so I think that lack of sniffing experience is a good excuse. :)

It's not often I encounter a perfume that upon the first smell makes me love it. It happened with Iris Pourpre too.

For me, it starts lightly citrusy (very lightly and only because I now always expect some variant on that so I focus), masculine smelling (even though on Luckyscent it's in the feminine category) and I have no idea what else I'm smelling but whatever it is, it seems to be wet. :) Not aquatic but like you immersed it in water and took it out, and now the perfume smells wet. It smells of a green herb sprayed with a lot of juicy fruit. You can smell and feel the juiciness of this one.

Notes by KM: bay rose, rare spices, hesperides, rose, green notes, musk
Notes by Luckyscent: rare spices, blood orange zest, green of angelica, may rose

When combined, they give a better precision, as I understand where the juicy fruit is coming from.
This is one of those perfumes that notes cannot describe and even if you try to describe it in such a manner, it wouldn't even come close. Because it smells refreshing, alive, smilingly happy and energetic at the same time, while retaining the dewy feel until drydown. You can feel the spices pinching your nose lightly (I thought it smelled like cinnamon, possibly clove too).

And here is where I came to a wall.

As you can see, green notes are listed and I couldn't smell them out. The thing is, I knew from the start that there had to be something green in there but the whole time I was smelling my wrist, I couldn't smell them out. I mean, I can tell by the way the whole structure smells they are there, I just can't smell them.
Does this happen to anyone else?

Since today was a tiring day, I was very glad to wear this on my wrist and be able to smell for instant pick-me-up. It just plain works for me. :)

And as this discovery made me very happy, what didn't make me happy at all, quite the contrary, is the fact that Keiko Mecheri site only ships samples to US and the line is not available in Croatia. So, if I want to try the rest of the rather large collection (and I want to), I need to order them from a third party. Eventually I guess...

Notes and pic by: http://www.keikomecheri.com/

Other notes by: http://www.luckyscent.com/

14 comments:

  1. Ines, I've been interested in this line for a while, but the first (and only, so far) scent that I tried was the Loukhum (sp?), which was WAAAY too sweet for me. I think I should probably give Keiko another try!

    I love it when I can't pick out notes, actually, and experience the perfume as a continuous piece; don't get me wrong, I feel very pleased with myself when I can identify notes, but my favorite perfumes are the seamlessly blended ones, which it sounds like this is!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee, I don't see KM getting many reviews and I started wondering if other people don't like it as much as I do?
    I haven't tried Loukhum but then again, I tend to avoid names like that. :)
    I love this one because it transports me straight away into another world (and the more seamlessly blended perfume, better the chances of transport). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya! Oh Ines you simply MUST try Ume! (Posh Peasant & Lucky Scent have it I think) It's a very dry spicy Asian plum, & I Adore it Much-Much forever! I'm used to wearing it in the months of January & February, but I saw it made one of Abigail's lists of fave summer scents, so I didn't put it away this time - gonna see what Ume does in the heat. I agree that Loukhoum is WAYYYyyy too sweet.

    Cheers & Perfume!
    Zanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keiko Mecheri perfumes are some of my favorites! I agree that you should try Ume. And Cuir Cordoba and ... I'll send you a PM and maybe we can work out some sort of sample swap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Zanne, thanks for the suggestion. It seems now I'm destined to get more KM perfumes to try. :)
    I wonder what will I think regarding season wearability...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellen, I would love to swap. I'm sure we both have interesting things to share.
    Btw, I love cuir perfumes, so I definitely want to try Cuir Cordoba.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes I think I would have preferred to read about people not liking perfumes from those houses I'm not familiar with yet and do not have an easy (read "not involving money") access to ;)
    Well, one day I will try these perfumes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Undina, I know the sentiment. I have the same thoughts regarding Xerjoff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ines, I've never tried a Mecheri, but I'm about to, because I've just received a sample of Les Zazous, which is one of the more recent ones. I agree, they are hard to find, although Liberty in London stocks them. By the way you can order them from First in Fragrance, in Germany. I'm sure they'd ship to Croatia, no?

    I find green notes quite difficult too and hard to describe. Sometimes a perfume just smells green, but as you and I both know, there are so many different interpretations of green and herbal notes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michael, yes, First in Fragrance ships to Croatia but the shipping is rather great for samples only. Luckily for me though, a friend of mine is in Germany for the next 6 months so I plan on handling my sample purchases through him.

    Btw, First in Fragrance sends rather large samples which I love. :)

    Oh, I couldn't agree with you more on difference in green and herbal - I always seem to lack words to describe the nuances.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so exciting to have a new scent love! and this is perfect for you because you have red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rose! I didn't consider that - but you're right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Not aquatic but like you immersed it in water and took it out, and now the perfume smells wet. It smells of a green herb sprayed with a lot of juicy fruit. You can smell and feel the juiciness of this one."

    Goodness Ines, your reviews lately are...well, creating all kinds of lemmings for me. To borrow a phrase from Austin Powers, you seem so "switched on"...as if you are really digging things, and it's totally coming across in your writing!

    I'm going to try to resist, but damn, you make this sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Suzanne - your posts create lemmings too but I was a bit lazy lately to write an email and say how much I'm enjoying them lately. :)
    And I was glad to read you like Boxeuses so much. I'm still very much undecided but knowing SL, I will probably wake up one day and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete