Friday, April 29, 2011

Vero Profumo - Kiki

I want to finish with my favourite. And oh, what a favourite!

Btw, I never considered myself a huge fan of lavender. I like the smell of it but it doesn't make me weak at the knees.

These are my favourite extrait and the edp of the line. Edp won by a margin but the extrait is just incredible. I just wish I could write about them in a normal way and not with gushing emotion. :)

It's just, the extrait reminds me so vividly of my childhood summers spent at the middle Croatian coast, in a little village with lavender fields. That is a smell you never forget.  And then when you find it in perfume, I don't need to tell you how wonderful it makes me feel. I can smell and see in my mind the lavender fields bathed in the sun and smelling warm. This might not sound like a perfume, but believe me, it is.
Of the notes, except for variants of lavender, I can't say I smell anything particular. It's more the case of realizing the notes are making lavender smell differently than actually smelling the other notes. But then again, maybe it's just the fact that my nose has trouble going around a familiar note which is prominent.

I don't want to sound again like edp is not worth the same notice. It is. It's the best variant of the passion fruit note because for some reason, here it smells most alive and the least sweet.
You know, from the notes, you'd think you could smell the lavender straight away but that's not the case. It's hidden in there and it forces the fruit to behave from behind the scenes.

Really, that lavender is an intriguingly shady fellow...

I have to apologize if my Vero reviews sounded more like my imagination running wild than actual reviews, but I just didn't seem to be able to help myself.
They take you on a journey and you're not sure where you  will end up, but you will definitely have an interesting ride (and a satisfying end point).
Basically, it's the same as with good books, you never know where they will take you and where you will end up.

Edp notes: Lavender essential oil, bergamot, citron, passion fruit, lavender absolute, geranium, caramel, patchouli, musk

Extrait notes: lavender, caramel, musk, fruits



Notes and pic by: http://www.luckyscent.com/

14 comments:

  1. Are you going to buy any of these perfumes (a FB or a decant)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Undina, I wish they weren't so expensive. Once my large Kiki sample is done, I'll go for a decant probably, not the whole bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ines, this is SUCH a gorgeous perfume - my mother wanted me to find her a lavender perfume, so I brought my sample to her. I asked her if she wanted to split a bottle with me, but was aghast at the price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...running upstairs to dab some on now! This is one of the only lavenders I could ever describe as "chic," but it really is. A little playful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't smelled this, but it sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Kiki's combination of lavender and caramel (baked apple with a brulée note to my nose), and the musky drydown is gorgeous!
    Like you I prefer the extraits by far, but I had to have the Onda EdP also - its warmth and lush jungle-pond-ishness (oh my!) won me over.
    It's interesting that you personalized the Onda duo: when I got testers of the EdPs I couldn't figure them out at first, but then they struck me as "daughters" of the extraits, younger and fresher, and that made them easier to "read" for me.
    Rubj "mother" sitting in her wonderful garden while her daughter has to hunt in the woods like Diana, and what she is hunting she will not tell..
    Onda's daughter has her mother's long legs and her laugh, though not quite so loud, and she stopped smoking..
    Kiki and her daughter are to my nose the most similar smelling pair, like pairs you can see in mother-daughter photo spreads in magazines sometimes; both very chic and confident and soo good looking..
    And maybe it's a sign of my years that I prefer the company of the extraits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiki is the one that interests me the most. Lavender is such a hard note for me, I love it, but it gets harsh so easily, a combination like this sounds wonderful. Thank you for your review, Ines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really enjoyed this review Ines - I really don't mind you letting your imagination run wild as it is so enjoyable to read! And the extrait sounds beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BF, I can understand your mother being aghast. Such a little bottle (as it's the extrait) for quite a sum. Although I do guess eventually I'll cave in and buy it. Eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzanne, yes, playful is definitely a word I should have applied to Kiki too. :-)
    A chic and playful lavender - wouldn't mind having those words applied to me either. ;-) Luckily, there is Kiki.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joan, I do hope you get a chance to try it soon. I wonder what you will think of it as it's for me one of those perfumes that no matter how many reviews you read, they don't prepare you for the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gisela, I love how you describe them. :-) I agree about the mother-daughter relationship but the Ondas struck ma as the most masculine of all, so that's how they came alive.
    I prefer the extraits too but I'm not in the mother category. ;-)
    Just refer to Suzanne'comment on playful and chic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olfactoria, lavender is a difficult note for me in perfumrs too, so this one makes me doubly happy.
    I'm eager to hear your thoughts on it once you try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Axum. :-) I wish I got to smell more perfumes that work on my imagination.

    ReplyDelete