Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My perfume criteria

Or, how I determine it's a perfume I'd like to own a bottle/decant of.

I realize some of my criterions might not be objective but then again loving perfumes cannot be termed as objective as love is in there. :)

1. On the first inhale it makes me smile or relieves stress from my shoulders (Scarlett and Timbuktu respectively).

2. Notes are so well blended, you can't take them apart and they tell a story (Antonia).

3. It smells like the epitome of its category (Shalimar and Ambre Sultan).

4. It smells strange and compelling (Jardin du Nil).

5. It smells strange and interesting but might not be compelling to me (Vero Rubj).

6. It is so new to my nose that I can't resist trying to figure it out.

7. I lack words to describe what I'm smelling (as I'm overwhelmed usually - Antonia and Ambre Sultan again).

8. I simply love what I'm smelling as it hits all the right buttons for me, even though it might not get much love from everyone else.


P.S. I do plan on adding to this list as I realize I might be applying some other criteria I'm yet unaware of.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I am trying my hand at my own criteria. Some of mine are:

    1. Spraying it on my skin makes me smile, laugh, or make another loud happy sound (I've known to meow loudly, for instance).

    2. Craving it out of the blue (like, I am walking along the sunny street and thinking, "I really need this wind to blow my hair and bring the scent of La Chasse aux Papillons to my nose" on a day that I am not wearing it or not even thinking about wearing it).

    3. I associate it with some period of my life, or piece of art, or a book that I love.

    4. It tells me a compelling story (Onda EDP).

    5. It consistently makes me feel a certain way (e.g. focused, relaxed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting post! I am a list-maker, and have been since I was a child. I blame the habit on my mother, who is also a Grade-A List-Maker. So, now I have something new to make a list for, and when I come up with it, maybe I'll post mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a.k.a.Warum, oh, I like your criteria, I recognize myself in some of them. :) Although, as of yet, no loud sounds for me, except once when it was an instant scrubber and I made some disgusted sounds.
    So far, I only associate one perfume with one particular event and person (how one night can stand out with a perfume attached to it is something I still wonder happily about).

    Btw, you made me laugh with meowing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I would love to see your list! Please think about your own criteria and post them. I think it's fun to read how other people consider what's a good perfume worth owning.
    I make lists every day but they are very common - I make them so I wouldn't forget everything I have to do that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had many people laugh out loud with my meowing! :)
    I only feel free to do it among friends -- and did once in front of DSH... *blushes*

    ReplyDelete
  6. a.k.a. Warum - you were around DSH?! I'm jealous now. :) Even though I might not meow in that case, I might utter some other incomprehensible sound. ;)

    ReplyDelete