Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Kim Harrison: Black Magic Sanction


And another installment of Rachel Morgan is behind me. :) I really like the world this story is set in (genetic modifications in tomatoes killing a lot of population so that the witches, vampires and the rest of non-human species get public in order to help with the problem).

Anyway that's the beginning of series and in no way has anything important to do with this book only to give people who haven't read any of the Rachel Morgan books an overview of the world.

I noticed this before but I'm putting to words now, even though I enjoy the books and the characters and I never know where the story is going to end up (which is probably the consequence of what I'm going to say next) - I cannot for the life of me get in the head of any of the characters, but that is especially the case with Rachel Morgan. I just cannot understand her reasoning and that is probably one of the reasons I never can guess what is going to happen, i.e. what is she going to do next.

Btw, I couldn't help but notice the opposites in this book with Anita Blake. Rachel has a chande to deal with some trouble by killing those who are doing it but decides against it at the last moment and deals with the consequences - which are manyfold and make her life even more complicated. And Anita has to kill in order to keep all her loved ones alive - of course, I don't mean to judge any of the characters who have to kill. Rachel is not a vampire executioner so she never meant to do that in her life and is basically a good witch (or not a witch, it's debatable what exactly Rachel is) - but even using demon (=black) magic does not make her a bad person because any kind of magic can be used for both good and bad. What I still don't get is how come that reason never came up in Rachel's problems, especially in this book where white magic is used for some bad stuff.
So, basically, you get another set of Rachel's problems, very interesting ideas, previous bad guys turning not good, but positive, and some previous ok guys turning seriously bad (some of that was expected but some definitely wasn't).
If you enjoyed previous books, you will like this one as well. I wonder what else can be in store for Rachel in the future since this book finally ended on a positive note.
Pic by: www.kimharrison.com

No comments:

Post a Comment