Friday, September 25, 2009

So much to learn and discern

First off, I need to learn more about Ava Luxe line. I tried yesterday no. 23 (I managed to forget I have swapped for it) and almost swooned how great it was. And after smelling it for a while, it hit me. It reminded me strongly of DK Black cashmere. Now I'll need to try them side by side.

The thing is, this happened the other day as well. I finally tried Lily Bermuda's Somers (which I was lucky enough to win at Perfume shrine). I decided to try that first after reading the notes and thinking it sounds just for me. It struck me as a masculine (I tend to put most masculines into a unisex category) and after a while I realized it reminded me terribly of Kenzo Peace.

So, I decided to sniff them side by side. Turns out I still have a lot to learn and discern. Nope, they don't smell that similar when put side by side. Peace is such a stronger and more forceful but basically level structure. It smells more uncouth than Somers. Somers has a more lighter dry opening that is spicier than Peace. The thing is Peace does not have that many notes as Somers and it is clearly visible (smellable). I like Peace well enough but Somers beats it - gives it more range and depth and something keeps happening all the time.

It was only in the drydown that they came quite close - maybe it's just my still beginner nose, but I don't think if I didn't know on which arm I had which, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Notes for Peace: musk, heliotrope, cedar, tonka bean, mandarin, vanilla.

Notes for Somers: bergamot, cedar, cardamom, licorice, black tea, nutmeg, coriander, geranium, sage, gaiac wood, olivewood bark, incense, suede, amber.

Soon now I'll do this with No. 23 and Black cashmere, but before that just to compare the notes:

Black cashmere: saffron, clove, rose, white pepper, Ethiopian incense, vanilla, amber, patchouli, African wenge wood

No. 23: Sandalwood, Hawthorn blossoms , Acacia, Rose, Himalayan Geranium , Lavender, and Musk

See? Much to learn and discern. I can't wait to try them side by side.
Picture by: ava-luxe, via /www.etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. How are you my dearest Ines? I missed you, girl! Things around here are tragically hectic, I am stuck in the house studying non-stop. As you so well noted in a previous post, the summer is behind us! Booohooo :(
    And the new season has brought with it way too much work to be done. Maybe, just maybe it will subside a bit once I find my routine? Well, one can only hope.

    Re:Ava Luxe, the line is amazing. She is SO talented! If I had the money I would be ordering stuff from her to try all the time. Do you like gardenia? I can't recall. If you do, try her Gardenia Musk and Gardenia Rain. She makes faaaaaabulous gardenia. And great great figs too.. And she is most amazing with wood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Divina, I've missed you too. You have way much work and I do hope you get the routine settled soon, although college work somehow defies routine. :)
    Btw, I do like gardenia, and I love fig scents. I'm afraid I'll be ordering Ava Luxe's stuff bit by bit, I cannot believe how wonderful her fragrances are. :) I'm totally in love.

    ReplyDelete