Monday, September 21, 2009

I've been thinking...

First off, I love Mariah Carey's version of "I want to know what love is". Me, singing with her, not so good. :)


I've been thinking about perfumers yesterday. It came about quite spontaneously strange. I tried En Passant and realized why I gave my sample to a friend. She had a deodorant that I just couldn't stand and it smelled too powdery to me (didn't realize at that moment that there are violets or something of the sort painted on the deodorant). That's what En passant reminded me of, in a much better way and without making my stomach turn. Smelling it, I can tell it is really well done and I hate the fact that I just can't wear it. I've been reading reviews of En passant and the whole "rainy" idea is completely lost on me. :) But all that is not the point.


I was thinking how there are families of perfumes I just don't like, and some notes as well, but I'll stick with families. I think it's normal that we like some things more and some things less. And I believe that might be true of perfumers as well. So, what I was wondering is, do perfumers create fragrances belonging to all families or do they stick to their preferences? And a perfume being a unique work requiring inspiration, how can one be inspired to do something that just doesn't rate high on the list of likes? I believe if one truly loves orientals, it might be easier to be inspired in that direction. Or in my case, I don't think there will ever be an aquatic perfume I will love. Or do truly great perfumers put aside their likes and dislikes and approach the creation of a new perfume objectively/dispassionately? And should they? Perfumes are little works of creation and inspiration, a small work of art, they shouldn't be done objectively, should they? Which brings me back to my original question - do then really good perfumers stick to families they like more and where their love can shine through the fragrance, or do they try their knowledge with families they are somewhat indifferent to? And is there then a difference in the experience of the public of those different scents?


Well, those are questions I've been asking myself since yesterday and have no real answer to. That actually happens often to me (the part with no answers, there is always a lot of questions in my head). :)
Do you have similar questions, or perhaps some answers?


It's been almost a year since my visit to Paris and I've been thinking how much I'd love to see Versailles again, so the photo is a little reminder of my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment