Only one more week left and we're done. I'm already scared to contemplate what might befall our heroes in this last part (if I'm to go by the previous book) and we ended on a cliff-hanger this wekk.
Whose bloody idea was to it end there?! ;) (that's me getting into the pirate character)
This week's questions were provided by nrlymrtl at Dark Cargo and here are my answers:
1) I was much relieved when Jean and Locke made up, which started with Locke's gesture of a cup full of honesty with Cpt. Drakasha. Do you think that was hard for Locke? Or was he using this bit of honesty like any other weapon in his arsenal to get what he wants in the end?
I was very happy to see them make up, too. :)
2) The Parlor Passage: We still don't know Locke's true name, but whatever was in that mist does. What do you think it is?
Beats me. I wonder if we'll even get to know (what with Mr. Lynch being rather slow on divulging those type of information).
Possibly something to do with the Elders?
3) There was an interesting section of the book that started about where Locke assisted Drakasha in selling the Red Messenger; he put on the persona of Leocanto Kosta and used the alias Tavras Callas and then Drakasha was still thinking of him as Ravelle..... Did using all those various aliases in such a short amount of time have your mind spinning a little? Do you think Lynch did this on purpose to give the reader a sense of Locke's mind?
In retrospect, I find it sounds a bit confusing but at the time I had no probelms following the story and I probably ignored the exchange of names as I knew who was saying what and just went with that.
4) That was a sweet little kiss between Cpt. Zamira and Cpt. Jaffrim at the end of the Captains' Council. Do you think they have some history, or is it just innocent flirting that's been going on for some time?
I think it's just some flirting between friends but anything is possible. Even that they were more than friends at one point. They certainly seem only friends now.
5) Jean and Ezri. Cue dove-cooing and little winged hearts with sparkles. Do you think Jean will stay with the Poison Orchid or that Ezri will leave her ship to pal around with Jean and Locke?
I think neither will happen as it seems like a possibility now and everything that seems a possibility to the reader is NOT what is going to happen (at least that was my experience so far).
And unfortunately, after reading many posts last week saying they don't think Ezri will make it, I'm now scared for her.
6) What is Utgar up to? What are his motivations?
I honestly have no idea. I'm wondering if I'm reading it wrong but it doesn't seem like what he's doing is all for evil purposes.
7) So last week we hashed over that Merrain killed some of Stragos's guards on Windward Rock. But when Jean and Locke visit him, he doesn't mention it. What is up with that?
I was wondering about that. And it would be stupid for Jean and Locke to appear without even giving an excuse for the killings if it were them who made them.
I wonder if Stragos suspects Merrain?
8) This week's section left us where the book began - Jean pointing a crossbow at Locke's throat. Do you think Jean knows who sent these crossbowers? Is he on their side? Is it a clever ploy to get him and Locke out of this predicament? Did you find it excruciatingly hard to stop here?
Excruciating doesn't even begin to describe it. :)
So far, I had two theories of why Jean would behave like that, and the one where he is upset with Locke over Ezri and the pirates went down the drain during this week's part, and somehow I no longer believe it's the Bondsmagi. Although that is still a possibility.
Basically, I have no idea what is happening.