Monday, October 24, 2011

Melissa Darnell: Crave

If you asked me why I love YA so much, I couldn't give you an answer.
I'm not sure myself.

Is it because teenagers are full of emotions and anxiety and want to be adults but still retain the childlike in them?
Because I can no longer imagine my inner life going through so many emotional turmoils - I really don't have the energy left for it. :)

But, I enjoy reading about young people having adventures in the style of Romeo and Julia. Because this story reminds one of those lovers.
Tristan and Savannah were forbidenn in fourth grade to ever have any contact with each other. And until then, they were best friends.
Nobody though bothered to explain the reason to them.

The things I really loved about this book were:

- the fact the story is told both from Tristan's and Savannah's point of view (I always miss the male perspective, because honestly, I can't begin to imagine what might be going through their heads)

- the witch is the guy and the vampire is the girl (usually it's always the opposite)

- absolutely loved the part where Savannah's mother is explaining magic to her and saying that only in post Harry Potter world is magic cool and fun :)

- even though Savannah struck me at first as blinded and unrational, she did come to the conclusions I wanted her to understand eventually, so I guess, I can't take fault with that ( she is 16 after all and finding her place in a completely new world)

It's been a while since a YA love story gripped me so much.
And the star-crossed lovers of modern America are to appear in books 2 and 3.

The problem though is - it won't be soon enough. :)

2 comments:

  1. I love that line at the beginning of your post, and you might just have helped me answer why I love YA so much; like you, I surely don't experience some things as emotionally as I did before (when I was a teen). Reading YA helps me connect with the teen in me that wishes she had so many great YA novels when she was the age of her favorite protagonists :)

    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll make sure to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when blogger eats my commenr. :)

    Thank you for the comment. I don0t really spend any time considering from where my emotions and opinions stem from but this book made me wonder how come I like YA so much.
    I hope you'll like it. I hope you'll let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete