Tuesday, September 29, 2009

WoW: Julia Quinn


This week's author is Julia Quinn, and the book Minx. I do think I've already read Julia Quinn before but must say that I usually read covers and if the excerpt doesn't sound promising, I don't buy the book (unless it's one of my established writers). :)

So, I wasn't exactly thrilled by the excerpt but thought it might be ok. Well, her books are not about steamy sex scenes, I can tell you that. You get some kisses and in the end the book progresses accordingly, but almost the whole book is more concerned with emotions. One good thing I can say about that is, it's been a while since I actually felt my chest constricting with emotions from reading what the characters are feeling (maybe I was just in the mood but I don't think it was that). I don't know if you remember the feeling of unrequited love or just feeling completely in love with someone who is not returning that love the same way and that feeling of tightness in your chest that can accompany such anguish. Well, Ms Quinn has managed to evoke it in me. And that makes her good in my book. Now, I'll just have to check whether she can repeat the experience. :)

And I do like the heroine, a cheeky brave girl of 20 (going on 21). Most of the time she is funny. And one of the first things that seduced her future husband was the smell of lemons coming from her (her hair). And that fact that he is fascinated by her smell is repeated several times in the book.
Well, I don't think anyone is going to remember me by the same fragrance my hair or my skin may be emitting... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment