Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lois McMaster Bujold: A Civil Campaign

I feel so pleased with myself for deciding to re-read the Vorkosigan saga, this time in English. I don't mean to say anything bad about the Croatian translation but original is still original.

I know I haven't been reviewing the books in the series but I just didn't feel like to - I enjoyed them immensely and just didn't feel I could do them justice in  reviews. It's one of the best science-fiction series out there if you ask me. The way Ms. Bujold writes is just incredible. She can convey everything through her words and honestly, I don't feel any translation can ever do her good unless done by an equally talented writer.

The reason I wanted to review this particular book, which is almost at the end of the series is because the whole series sort of coalesces in it. I've been having laughing fits over situations in this book which are the culmination of all the previous books and the fact that you got to know the characters so well that you can imagine completely the scenes that are happening.
So much irony, sarcasm, characters' characters clashing, funny scenes, it's wonderful how many situations that make one laugh ended up in this book. It's the book where Miles is wooing Ekaterine, without her actually knowing it's happening while everyone else does. Well, you can see where the funny  aspect can come from...
It was pure pleasure to read it. :)

I'm looking forward to other 2 novels left (and a novella) and then it's the end of my Vorkosigan jaunt.
There are other worlds that await me but Barrayar is the one I know I'll be coming back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment