Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rachel Vincent: My Soul to Take


I am no longer a young adult but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy books written for them. :) So, in the last year and a half, I ended up starting more than one YA series. The last in line is Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent and I only read the first book.

I've heard of Rachel Vincent before but haven't read anything up to now, there is a non YA series in her opus but I can't say the excerpts made me that curious about it. I blame it totally on the person writing them because as much as I can tell, RV writes pretty much the thing I like to read.

I'm a bit busy lately so it took me almost a week to finish this book, even though it's not even remotely long. Good thing about it is that it is easy enough to read and interesting enough that even though a few days pass, you don't lose interest (that happens to me a lot) and just start reading something else, but each time I did have time, I took it up.

The idea is interesting enough - not seen before, that's for sure (in that variant). Bean sidhe (or more familiarly known as banshee) or sidhe characters have been cropping up everywhere. The worlds they inhabit are always different and it seems they might turn out to be the new vampires. There are so many traits that can be attributed to sidhe so they might come handy in the future. We'll just wait and see.

The only problem I had while reading this is with the main female character. Are all teenagers so, well, stupid when it comes to interpersonal communication? Was I like that? Makes me wish never to have children. This is more general when talking about YA fiction than in particular to this novel, although it appears here as well. I guess that means MS. Vincent did a good job portraying teenagers but it's a bit annoying reading through it. :)

All in all, I'm bound for my bookstore for the next book in series.


Pic by: www.rachelvincent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment