Sunday, April 29, 2012

Red Seas Under Red Skies, new Scott Lynch read-along

I'm participating in the next book of Locke Lamora (and Jean's) adventures and the second book is called Red Seas Under Red Skies.
Once I started reading it, I realized how much exactly am I invested in the lives of Locke and Jean. It felt like finally going back to meet my friends and check whether they've been doing fine since we left them dealing with the aftermath of Grey King problem.
The read-along is again hosted by these great blogs and this week's questions were provided by Bryce of My Awful Reviews.
The hosts:
The Little Red Reviewer
My Awful Reviews
Dark Cargo
Lynn's Book Blog
OhThatAshley at SFSignal


And here are the questions with my answers:

1. The Sinspire. It looks like our heroes (can they really be called that?) find themselves in search of a way into an unbeatable vault. Do you think they have what it takes to make it happen?

He, he, after reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, I'm pretty sure they will make it happen. Probably not as they planned it, but, in the end, I believe they will do it.


2.  Anyone want to guess how they're going to make it happen?

No idea. I see they are starting again by saying to their victim they plan on robbing him (in a different manner though) but as the Bondsmagi were already introduced into the story, I know that there is absolutely no way for me to guess what will be happening. My only guess is that it will hurt and won't be nice.


3. It's a little different this time around, with us just being focused on Locke and Jean. Is anyone else missing the rest of the Bastards as much as I am?
Oh yes. And Locke and Jean are missing them as well - there are many references to them throughout the story. My heart aches each time I read a reference.


4. I love the section where Jean starts to build a new guild of thieves. It really shows just how well trained and tough he is. Do you think the Bastards will end up training others along the way again like Bug?

Good question. I'm  wondering a bit how would they be able to believe anyone anymore so completely though. They practically grew up together, no one will again be the same as the Bastards that were family.
And I should add I was very impressed with Jean taking care of the situation so quickly and effectoively.


5. For those of you looking for Sabetha, we still haven't spotted her yet. Anyone else chomping at the bit to see the love of Locke's life?

I'm tired of all the references to her! :) I want to know what happened between her and Locke! And she better show up somewhere in the books, otherwise I'll be really unhappy.


6. It's early on, but the Bastards are already caught up in plots that they didn't expect. How do you think their new "employer" is going to make use of them (The Archon, that is)?

Again, I cannot offer any ideas. It's just that Mr. Lynch's mind works in such a devious manner when it comes to his characters, I cannot even begin to imagine what Archon might have planned for Jean and Locke. Possibly the murder of the Spider? The best I can come up with is that it will have something to do with Camorr as there seems to be a lasting hate between the two states (or whatever they are).

But I believe that Locke and Jean will in the end kick some Bondmagi and Archon butt. :)

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the first questions: they'll make it to the vault, at least, but something will go wrong, as it always does :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it will go terribly wrong if we're to consider the last book. ;)

      Delete
  2. I think they will have a VERY cunning plan - *wiggles fingers* mysteriously!!
    I'm very keen to see Sabetha - she certainly has a lot to live up to now. We've all been kept in the dark for so long that I'm hoping she's going to be awesome.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I agree their plan will be very cunning. Which is probably why it's going to fail in that particular style of execution and they will need some last minute quick thinking to get on top of the things. :) What do you think?

      Delete
  3. Oh, I like your answer to #6. I had assumed it would be something to do with internal politics, but that is way more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I wonder how completely wrong I am with my answer to 6. :) Because I never guessed anything correctly in the first book. :)

      Delete
  4. Now that you mention it... lasting hate between Camorr and Tel Varrar that gives the story an interesting angle. Will they go to war again? Maybe not in this book but what about later in the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, good point. There could be more here to use for future books.
      I just wish the future books would be faster in coming out... ;)

      Delete
  5. That would be very interesting, then we can visit Camorr again!

    http://realbooks4ever.tumblr.com/post/21981178128

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to visit Camorr again. See how women in power are dealing with everything. ;)

      Delete
  6. sorry I'm responding so late. :(

    my heart breaks a little too every time the other Gentlemen are mentioned. I know Locke would give anything to have them back. I am a sucker for a tragic character, that's for sure!

    I'm curious to see how the new Spider(s) in Camorr are doing as well, so I do hope we get to visit there again in a future book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you might tell me they (the Spiders) appear in this book as well! :)
      Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a bit more for them.

      Delete