Friday, January 28, 2011

I need to stop loitering and start writing - starting with Parfumerie Generale

I've tried so many good perfumes lately that it's high time I stopped loitering about writing reviews and just do them. I do get into phases when I think that no matter what I write, it will never be good enough to describe the perfume so why bother, but I really need to talk about these because even though not many people read my blog, it just feels I need to spread the word.

I don't know how many of you are aware of the fact that I love Parfumerie Generale offerings. Of course, I haven't tried them all and not all of them are for me, but generally speaking, I find them made for me. :)


I'll start with Drama Nuui because I thought I will like this one more than Bois Blonde.

Notes:petit grain, absinthe, jasmine, spices, guaiac wood, sandalwood, musk

That petit grain keeps bothering me. I can never figure it out for myself but after reading my notes and then the perfume notes, I can see how they merge.  I guess it takes a lot of time to train one's nose into getting all these notes.
Initially I thought it smelled like white flowers iris or lily of the valley with a slightly soapy twist, all together reminiscent of jasmine. Like I said, in retrospect, I see where petit grain fits in.
It smells like it's a white floral laced with some vanilla and with ylang-ylang hiding in there. But the petit grain not only gives it slight soapiness but also piquancy.
Honestly, the absinthe thing completely passed me by, and that is probably because I have no idea what it smells like in real life.
But the drydown of Drama Nuui is absolutely wonderful. You smell fine and delicately sweet and flowery sandalwood. I'm pretty sure the spices part is responsible for the whole structure of this smelling interesting throughout but I can't really say I spied any with my nose. :)


Bois Blond

Notes: cereals, grass, galbanum, cedar, hay, blond tobacco, amber, musk

I'm not sure what cereals are supposed to smell like, understated probably with everything else in this perfume. It starts grassily green, smelling of grass sap, like grass was recently cut and is emitting that sweet, green smell (which works for me always). I guess galbanum really does its best here. :)
At some point when the grassiness starts to subside, I was sure I could get hints of something cuminy through but as the note is not listed, my guess is that hay and amber combined with grass had something to do with it.  And even though you smell the grass, it's at all times tempered with some woodiness, making the perfume smell of wide, green, open spaces in the sun.
Once I read the notes, I could finally smell cedar and while the grass element is slowly subsiding, some smokiness gets a hold of you while you're enjoying the warm, sweet cedar wafts. I don't really smell tobacco, to me, it smells more of whiffs of that aromatic tobacco burning.
What I find absolutely stunning is the temperate nature of all the notes that can usually be quite overpowering. I'm still wondering where did the slight piquancy (a light pinching in my nose) in the start of the drydown come from? Smoky cedar perhaps?

In any case, a truly enjoyable perfume but as it's part of the Private Collection, I'm not sure how available it is. I see Luckyscent carries it, 110$ for 50ml.

Pics and notes by: http://www.luckyscent.com/

27 comments:

  1. I love how honesty of your review. I've never sampled Parfumerie Generale as they don't have any retail locations in NY. Your review is pushing me to order samples online. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Barney, thank you for stopping by. There is something for everyone I believe in this range. And I can't wait to try the Huitieme Art collection - that one is still not available here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ines, I haven't tried many fragrances in this line, but of the ones I have, Bois de Copaiba and Aomassai are my favorites. Someone gave me a sample of Drama Nuii and the weirdest thing happened as it dried down...it took on this dusty cocoa smell that was faint to the point that I wondered if it was really there, yet nagging enough that it made me hungry. (Whereas overtly gourmand fragrances never make me feel that way, the constant "is it there or isn't it?" of this thing actually made me crave the thing I was thinking about.) Which is why I decided Drama Nuii isn't for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. Could I have used the word "thing" any more in my comment? Someone just shoot me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne, now I have to give this another try and see if I get the cocoa dusting. :) Btw, I haven't tried Bois de Copaiba but I did try Aomassai and I didn't feel that one was for me. :)

    P.S. I didn't notice your things until you mentioned them yourself but I noticed that happening to me every once in a while. And then I went to read what I said about Drama Nuui and found several typos. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well noted about the understated quality of Bois Blonde. It is such an intriguing scent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ines I think this is a consistently good line. Not all of them do it for me, but a lot do. I particularly like L'eau Guerriere and what used to be called Iris Taizo. Lombre Fauve is pretty good too, if you like patchouli and musk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ines, I'm glad that you reviewed these: I have a ton of love for the house, and Bois Blond is one of my most favorite scents! I can't tell though whether or not you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, look at you sussing those out! Good on you...glad you stopped loitering and started writing!

    Okay, now that I know what your intitial impressions are of these two, I'll tell you that, interestingly, in theory I should love Drama Nuui, but in the end am fondest of the last act--which is not what I expected it to be.

    But Bois Blond...ah...mellow happiness in a bottle, that one. A favorite for the turning of the seasons associated with the equinox, especially in the fall. It's more like the magic hour at the end of the day...warm light, starting to get diffuse, hay that was hot in the sun a few hours ago but now simply still holds some of that warmth...ahhhhh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marina, before Boi Blond, I would never have guessed you could start with grass and end up in the sweet cedar smoke. Incredible really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see the typos continue for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael, so far, if it wasn't love, I sure liked them all (except Yuzu Ab Irato which smells like lemon candy on me). :) I'm currently contemplating a bottle of Intrigant Patchouli.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DeeHowe, that seems to be how I usually write but I actually love this one. :) I'm a huge lover of everything grassy and the rest continues in the tone I love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ScentScelf, thank you for sending them. I also thought Drama Nuui was going to be the one I will prefer, but there you go.
    I see Bois Blond elicits serious emotions from you. :)
    I'm probably going to wear it more at the beginning of spring when all I want is to smell the greeness around me, of all the things growing and blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have a sample of Parfumerie Generale Bois Blonde around here somewhere. Now I'm going to go look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried the PG line but thanks to your wonderful review of Bois Blond, I know which fragrance to try first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Diana, please let me know what you think once you find it. :) I keep thinking it's one of those perfumes everyone should like.

    ReplyDelete
  18. JoanElaine, honestly, wherever you start, you will find something interesting and likeable in PG perfumes, even if they might not be what you usually wear. I actually only understood now through writing replies to comments that I actually have very strong feelings for the line (positive). :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there, Inez!!

    I find the whole PG line challenging, but in a very good way. There's not a single one-- yet-- that I can't live without, although Papyrus de Ciane is one of those I like to pull out for those perfume doubters-- it's so strange, and so green, it catches a lot of people, myself included, off guard. And while I have no idea what an actual papyrus plant, sitting in a Nile marsh somewhere, steaming under an African sun, actually smells like, I feel like I do know what it smells like from his concoction.

    I am so right there with what Suzanne was saying about the DN coca dusting drydown-- couldn't have said it better myself!! And while it's a smell I like, it's not one I would like to wear.

    I just know one of these days I'll try a PG, and it will be all over for me: it will be love, love, love. Until then, I will enjoy reading your descriptions!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greetings, Ines! I discovered "Coze" this summer (from Abigail's review @ ISTIA) & hubba-hubba! Your post is making me wanna try more flavors - CHEERZ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey LCN! I was thinking about you just last week - so glad to see you here. :)
    It's true, Papyrus de Ciane caught me off guard as well. I'm still not clear as to whether I like it enough to wear or just smell it. BUt in any case, interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. HI Zanne, thanks for stopping by. Coze is a good one, I need to revisit it again (and get my hands on a large decant). :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just stopping by again to say thank you to the Left Coast Nose...now I don't feel like I was crazy or completely hallucinating (although there are days when either could rightly be said about me). :) Anyway, thanks LCN!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have a whole heap of PG samples that I haven't tried... and they seem really good... I just don't seem to have invested in getting to know them- I shall, I must.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rose, you should. :) But actually, I think you only need to invest time in the first one, the others will follow spontaneously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think Cuir Venenum is fantastic! It's the only Parfumerie Generale I've smelled, though.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Joan, I haven't tried that one yet but will have to. I love cuir perfumes. :)

    ReplyDelete