Monday, May 31, 2010

SOTD: Eau d'Italie, Paestum Rose

OK, I realized today I will have to give Havana Vanille another go. Because it's obvious to me that whatever Mr. Duchafour creates, I'm going to love it. :) There must have been a mistake in my nose when smelling HV because it just can't be. :)

As you probably know by now, I'm not a huge florals fan, rose especially, but there are always exceptions, and this is one of them. Oh, I really like this one (I think that the boozy opening helps). :)


Notes: davana, cinammon,, black pepper, pink pepper, black pepper, coriander, black currant buds, Turkish rose, peony, incense, osmanthus, elemi, tea, papyrus, benzoin, myrhh, opopponax, vetiver, patchouli, cedar, wenge wood, amber, white musk.


As you can see, there is a wealth of notes which I do not plan on getting entangled in. I love the beginning and I didn't miss the rose this time (probably because it's there in the title). It smells boozy (having this rum, thick quality to it) and slightly sweet. Of the notes in the beginning, I can smell the particular juiciness of black currants and the pink pepper - which I believe I am smelling due to the process of elimination. I've been finding this around a lot and learned to recognize the particular scent it brings with itself so I think I know it now (it gives the rose in Very Irresistible the same type of freshness). Anyway, I get a healthy dose of tea (I tend to lean toward black but that may be caused by black currant buds).

It smells like an idea of a wet rose, not aquatic but more like a rose inundated in fresh water. Quite lovely really. And totally wearable for me (I'll try and locate a decant on MUA).


I lose the black currant and most of the rose in the drydown but I'm left with a drydown that is quite nice but doesn't come close to the opening. I mean, it's easy on the nose and smells warm and dry (all that wood, incense and benzoin which I love) but is only a drydown.
Pic and notes by: www.luckyscent.com

6 comments:

  1. How ironic that we are both posting on Pasteum Rose (mine will appear later today)! I wish I could have experienced some of the black currant and tea that you describe. Very disappointing as I, too, love Mr. Duchafour's creations. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josephine, I'd rather call synchronicity. :)
    Can't wait to read what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pepper and rose together; it has to be one f my favorite combinations, so I bet I'd love this one. Keep up the good work; I've been enjoying these sample of the day posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that's very interesting that you read this one as wet - to me, it's dry in all stages, like someone dried some rose heads until they were crunchy and then ran them through a grinder with spices and incense and fragrant sawdust. Actually, I think they dried the rose heads in a smoker...

    I like it. It escapes my problem with roses. But I read it as dust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BV, it really is a good combination and one I would recommend for people who might be somewhat wary of roses. It really is a great combination, easy to love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CF, I can't believe you find it dry. :) How interesting. I already realized perfumes behave differently on you and me - it gets dry for me in the drydown, but before that, sometime in the middle, it's just incredible.

    ReplyDelete