Thursday, February 4, 2010

R.E. Feist: Rage of a Demon King


I already talked about Feist in my WoW posts but since this year I'm participating in very interesting book challenges, time has come to focus more on books and less on authors. Not that I'll stop writing about them either but obviously in much lesser extent since those are mostly authors I read regularly so the new writers of the week are going to be more spaced.

But let me say a few words about the book.

It's been on my list for a while, it's number 3 in the Serpent War saga (there is one more left and waiting for me). The problem I have with fantasy books is that they are long. I don't mind that at all but I have to take into account the amount of free time I have for reading and therefore if I start on a book I cannot let out of my hands and the time is limited, I tend to get upset. So all fantasy usually waits for better days (like when I'm home sick and can read all day long). :)

All Feist books were lent to me by my colleague (we all share books at work) and I went back to work really upset with him because he didn't warn me about some of the bad things happening in book 3. :) Ok, I wasn't really upset but since we talked about the previous books and had some favorite characters, I was shocked he didn't warn me because the one I'm talking about and trying not to spoil this too much was his favorite. So, I was a bit shocked but fortunately for me, it doesn't detract from the book. Quite the opposite. Feist fantasy world is too real in some cases - people die, get killed and war is as messy as it gets.

And I have a confession to make. I started the book some time ago but I got seriously upset by one of the character's stupidity and I'm sorry to say I doubted Mr. Feist and thought it was going to progress down the wrong way so I didn't want to read anymore. :) I was wrong. There is no part of this book that feels wrong to me and the characters are true to their character. :)

This book finally deals mostly with the problem of the serpent war but there are still some threads that need to be finished in book 4. I have high hopes for that and I know I won't be disappointed. It feels great when you know you can start reading a book and enjoy it from the beginning because you just know that the writer you are reading is not going to disappoint you (one more time, sorry Mr. Feist for doubting you). :)


Pic by: www.bssc.edu.au

No comments:

Post a Comment