Wednesday, February 24, 2010

All my efforts are just not good enough


Spring is right around the corner and all my efforts regarding scents are not bearing any fruit. It all started with Roxana's solid chocolate perfume samples. Which are btw really interesting and smell delicious but in my case cannot be put into much words or summed up as what they smell like. I'll give it a try but you shouldn't expect much.

Then this morning, I got dressed and was happy that I can wear lighter clothes since it's getting springish here and the temperatures have risen about 10- 15 degrees Celsius. And I realized I don't know what perfume to put on. In the end I ended up wearing Daim Blonde just because it didn't remind me too much of a winter scent. And it is still not time for summer scents so I'm a bit lost now. What are you all wearing these days when it's too warm for winter scents but it's not really spring yet?

And now when I was starting to write this, I wanted to download the photos I took with my phone and for some reason, it won't work. Like I said, nothing seems to be going right.

My Roxana chocolate samples included the following six:


1. Noir - "Like it's edible counterpart, this chocolate is deep, dark and mysterious with a strong musk note."

Yeah, there's no mistaking the musk part and the fact that of all six, this one lasts the longest. It does smell of dark chocolate with slightly bitter feel but the musk unfortunately makes it not for me.


2. Cerise - "Succulent cherry with a base of rich chocolate."

Now we're getting somewhere. :) I kept thinking, I know this, I know this, what is that fruit in this? And then I read cherry, and it hits me. There is a Croatian chocolate producer that has this perfect chocolate filled with boozy cheeries and this one smells exactly like that little chocolate morcel. And I get the boozy vibe too (have no idea if it's only me because of the chocolate association).


3. La Foret - "A dense conifer forest meets an ocean of chocolate."

This one is my favourite. There is less chocolate vibe in this (even though there's an ocean in the description), it's less sweet and more deeper and darker than the rest. I got some earthy-smoky vibe from it and it reminds me of chocolate forest (more foresty than chocolatey).


4. L'Orangerie - "Mouth watering citrus in a base of rich chocolate."

Roxana also said it is very fleeting although I didn't see it as more fleeting than the rest (they all had some problems with sticking a while on my skin). But boy, is it mouth-watering! All that juiciness you can practically feel in your mouth. You smell it and it feels like a burst of juiciness exploded in your head. How did she do that? Yeah, and the chocolate is there. :)


5. Bois de Chocolat - "Smokey woods and chocolate."

I got more of the wood in number 3, this reminded me more of wood shavings and chocolate. Not bad but since it was a bit sweeter than 3, 3 is still my most wearable favourite.


6. Epices - "Spice, a hint of vanilla and chocolate."

I think I smelled some orange peel and clove, it started juicy and spicy. Reminded me of Christmas cakes (the orange/spice combo) and I thought that there might be some cinammon in it but cannot say for sure. It was stronger than number 5, so that is a great plus for it (coming on top those great spices in the beginning).


I think they would all work great as body lotions because putting these solids (and they go on as an oily mousse de chocolat for a lack of a better description) and feel slightly decadent. Rubbing chocolate and spices on your pulse points and warming them up? Mmmm. I think they would work great as mood enhancers. Just rub some chocolate solid that melts into your skin and relax.
I ordered the samples from Roxana's Etsy shop. There are many more gems hiding there, just waiting for me (or my credit card). :)

11 comments:

  1. Why, these smell fascinating! I like the sound of the citrus one best, though would certainly try the forest and wood shavings one on your recommendation. Cherry, spices and dark chocolate not so much.

    The pots look so cute, I have to say...

    And aren't you lucky having warmer weather down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ines, my dear, you are way too hard on yourself. I really enjoyed your succinct thoughts on each of these scents, and it was helpful to me the way you did it--by first giving us the brief description from the perfumer, and then your thoughts.

    And now you've piqued my curiosity about La Foret. In general, I'm not into chocolate perfumes, but your description of that one intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re:

    "What are you all wearing these days when it's too warm for winter scents but it's not really spring yet?"

    Cristalle, Cristalle, and then Cristalle. Also, Field Notes from Paris worked reasonably well; I'd be wearing it if I owned it. Also white florals - I'd be wearing Un Lys and Nicolai Number One if I owned them, too. And I may give Tubereuse Couture a try tomorrow.

    Those scents sound lovely. I need to try l'Orangerie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flittersniffer, the weather caught me completely by surprise. I mean, technically it's still winter but you would never guess it here. I get dressed inappropriately (wearing too much) and I'm still having problems choosing scents in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne, thank you for the nice words. :) I'm not a fan of chocolate either in my perfume, but I'm slowly learning to give everything a try (or more than one). ;) I still find some things unwearable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, CF, so you're turning to white florals? I was debating on putting some of those close to hand to maybe wear them but I wasn't sure. I'll try one as soon as it's sunny again (we're expecting rain today). Spring is here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep - the white florals were working up until my Cristalle craze, and I see no reason why they shouldn't keep working. I'm out of Un Lys, which is the one I really want, but I'm going to try others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Suzanne-- your descriptions are lovely, first of all. And I'm also not a huge fan of chocolate in my perfume, but "Foret" was the one that stood out as one I would like to try.

    No break in the endless rain here, so not thinking through a "spring scent strategy" as of yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CF, you are making me feel ashamed, I cannot recall for the life of me how Cristalle smells like (and I do know I tried it once). I will go and remedy that as soon as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks LCN. Should I mention it's a lovely sunny day here? ;) The temperature is around 14 degrees Celsius and there is not a cloud in sight (it shoud remain like this tomorrow as well). I'm enjoying it to the full because it seems there was no sun for so long.
    I'm still debating what to wear for this early spring and I realized some of Roxana chocolate solids might be just right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To me, Cristalle is No. 19 in her early youth - bubblier, brighter, with a fresher complexion, not able to bring a room to silence with her entrance or strike you dead with a raised eyebrow, but still magnificent. And I don't mean that she needs to be _worn_ by younger people, only that she herself is younger.

    ReplyDelete