Thursday, August 30, 2012

I breathe in.... and relax

I've probably said this many times in my posts but I can't help being surprised again and again when it happens.

The feeling comes upon you at the strangest times, you breathe, you realize there is a smell in the air you would like to smell better, you breathe it in more fully and then you feel your body relax. The stress sort of siphons out of your body and you smile without meaning to.

It can happen anywhere and with any kind of smell (well, a pleasant one).
Breathing in the smell of freshly baked bread, sensing the seasons in the air, a new perfume discovery that not only makes you let go of all your stress but also sends pleasant shivers down your spine, the lingering perfume of a passerby, the freshly cut fruit and vegetables (especially at this time of year) and grass any time of year, in my case also snow, the freshly washed smell of shampoo in the hair....

The list goes on and on, but the important thing for me is that there is no other sense that I can use which will enable me to relax in the space of one breath.

I just wish I could utilize this consciously. :)

2 comments:

  1. You can try connecting some scents and rituals. For example, a special oil and taking a bath or burning a candle and reading a book. Then the next time you want to recreate this feeling you can try to use not only a scent itself but the complete ritual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undina, I must say I've been thinking of that. :) The only reason I haven't got around to do it is because of time. Although basically, it doesn't matter how long it takes when the end result finally appears.

      Delete