Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mona di Orio: Lux

I'm not writing down any comments regarding the name of this perfume. :)  Or whether the name is appropriate.
It does sound nice though.

What does it smell like?

Many things actually. It starts with a citrus burst, all lemony and sparkly, sometimes I seem to detect a slight waxy twist to it, most of the times I'm just preoccupied with the live lemon feel. Very cologne feeling.
And that's even before I detect barest whispers of bitter greens - I say barest because they are very light and besides the citrus doesn't back off that easily, it lasts for quite some time.
Today I got some peppery whiffs through the leaving lemons and dry woods. It's just, there are so many things happening, if your nose is not glued to your wrist, the chances are, you're going to miss some. It gets slightly smoky while the citrus is still waving which lead me to believe there was some patchouli in.
So, I wonder, how did I get from what I wrote up there to the beginnings of drydown which smelled lush and tropically warm with what I thought was ylang-ylang mixing in there? Yes, I got some sandalwood and cedar, especially late in the drydown, but ylang-ylang is not listed in the notes.

Notes: Sicilian lemon, Litsea Cubeba (whatever that is, I need to google it), petitgrain Bigarade South Africa, Haitian vetiver, Moroccan cedarwood, Mysore sandalwood, musk, amber, Siamese benzoin, bourbon vanilla, and cistus labdanum.

Basically, I love it. I love how it changes, I love its phases, I love the fact that each time I smell my wrist there is something slightly different happening there (even now, 8 hours after application), I love the fact it still manages to produce softness through all the aspects that might not be prone to that and I love the fact that it's available in Zagreb (ok, it used to be, I need to check if it still is).
I just don't love the fact that it's another Mona di Orio perfume I want and which is, well, not acquirable at the moment as if I decide to buy one, I will have to choose among many of her perfumes for the one I want the best.

Notes and pic by: http://www.luckyscent.com/

6 comments:

  1. Ines, I like that you are taking the time to review these Mona di Orio perfumes. She is often overlooked, undeservedly so, and I'm glad you're enjoying the experience. Have you tried Nuit Noir yet, the indolic jasmine one? I'd be interested in reading your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cubeba litsea appears also in Innocenza, body oil by Simone Cosac Profumi. It also appears on an ancient formula to elaborate Aqua Coelestis from a book written in the 1600s. It's a tree originally from Asia. But I don't know much more about it.

    I am glad about your review about Lux. I have never tried it and I thank you for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super lovely blog you have here!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, I couldn't agree with you more as I was the one of those who overlooked her. Not anymore. :)
    I do plan to go through all the samples I have and give them enough time for a review, so Nuit Noir is going to appear here sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vintage Lady, I googled Cubeba after writing this and it turns out it's an evergreen tree (or shrub) used for its lemony essential oil smell. :) No wonder that the beginning smells so lemony then.
    Thank you for the nice words. :)

    ReplyDelete