Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wearing Timbuktu


I was finally wearing Timbuktu today, after sort of going around it for months. Now, one would wonder why would someone buy a bottle of a scent and do one's best to avoid it as long as possible? Well... What I had in my mind of Timbuktu was both true and imagined. I remembered it as a dry incense thingy that just, you know, is, well, only ok. How wrong I was! It is incensey and dryish but there's so much more to this scent!

My untrained nose gets this smokey incense that slightly burns my nose, a bit later mixed with dry fruit (that's how I feel it) and some patchouli. This is an EdT but it lasts all day on me and is just wonderfully strange. :) I lack better words to describe it.

Notes by Luckyscent: green mango, pink pepper berries, karo-karounde flower, cardamom, smokey incense, myrrh, vetiver and patchouli.

What I actually found fascinating today is that this is a scent you have to be able to wear. It is without a doubt a masterpiece but not exactly in the perfume terms per se.

I've been really stressed out lately and frustrated and felt like my back was slowly lowering toward the ground under all the accumulated hardship. On top of it all, I have a cold. And this morning, I decided it was time to take Timbuktu out again. As soon as I sprayed it on, I felt I was breathing easier. Which is really strange because having a cold sort of limits the enjoyment of a perfume - usually the first spray makes me sneeze. What I mean is it didn't clear my nose, but it cleared my head. I felt like someone took the burden off my back and I was finally breathing easier after quite a while. And the result was that I knew what my path from now on should be. That is some good work for an edt if you ask me. :)

I believe there will always be a bottle of Timbuktu in my perfume closet/drawer/room (ok, hopefully it won't be that bad that I'll need a room). We all sometimes need someone or something to reconnects us with our unconscious self which might know the way forward but is unable to communicate it to our conscious self and now, I have a solution. For myself of course. But I suggest you give it a try. You never know what your unconsciousness might tell you...

And beware, it might not be easy or expected or something you like. But it still might be necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I have trouble with Timbuktu. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I last tried it (my experience with it was quite bad so I just... ignored it after that) so I have to try it again - maybe my perception of it will be different right now.

    I remember thinking it was so interesting at first, I got roasted hazelnuts and woods, then it all crumbled down to something generically masculine. Yeah, not so good. Similar reaction with their Absinthe perfume.

    My next bottle of Artisan will probably be Bois Farine. I adore it. Only they stopped selling it around here, which means that I have to find another way to acquire it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we tend to be a little behind on the current trends in anything here, I can check some of the shops here for Bois farine if you want. I'm pretty sure there will be bottles available.
    I can see how Timbuktu can be troublesome since I also can't wear it every day, but sometimes it just feels right. Some perfumes feel right all the time, but not this one.

    ReplyDelete