Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Reading in the rain


It seems I won't be smelling much these days, after all the sunny, wonderful days of last week, this week is cold, rainy and on top of it all I have a cold.

All I managed to sniff of the Le Labo samples are Vetiver 46, Ambrette 9 and Iris 39. First two didn't impress, they are ok. I mean they smell nice and forgettabel. Iris 39 is definitely not something I would wear but I honestly sniffed it a lot because I found it interesting. It smelled green and bitter and strict and I imagined it would be a perfect smell for a strict, middle-aged professor. :) Hence, not for me.

What I did manage to do last few days is read two of Mary Balogh's romance novels - at the moment, she's the author whose novels I'm going through (after having those phases with Stephanie Laurens, Nora Roberts, Keri Arthur, etc.). When I come across an author I like, I just start reading everything I can get my hands on from that author. What I like about Balogh's novels is the fact that from all the romance novels I've read so far (and believe me, the number is quite high), her characters and plot seem most real. Not in the sense that those are likely realistic stories but in a way that romance and love and passion can be found in everyday relationships. I have no idea why is that the idea I got from her stories because all those 'historical' romance novels are, well, pretty much similar. :) But I guess every author I keep reading puts her stamp on those stories to make them jump out of the crowd for me. So, Mary Balogh just joined my list. And reading is what gets me through these rainy days and how I fight my cold.


4 comments:

  1. Girl! We wrote about this on the same day! Just saw your post. I also got srictness from Iris (buttoned-up as I wrote) but most definitely intertwined with irresistible sex-appeal, so no professor connection for me, hahaha. More bejewelled, leisurly woman who doesn't need to work type of thing. Going through the comments today and reading yours and Carol's I ended up with Prada's Fleur d'Oranger (just a drop to make the sample last!) on my wrist. Smells GOOOORGEOUS! Whatcha wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeey! my first comment. ;) I couldn't believe it either when I saw you writing about Iris 39 today (unbelievable). :) Although I sort of hid mine inside the post.
    Today I decided to go through my samples and put on Fascinating by Ferragamo (and I'm not fascinated but I didn't need to scrub it off). But I am smelling now Patchouli 24 and Labdanum 18 on my wrists and although I still haven't checked the notes, they smell quite similar for some reason (I like them both actually).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey cutie :) Not wearing perfume *YET* today. Heading off to Amsterdam for shopping and sniffing. Will try to abstain from buying anything and just keep content on the delight of window-shopping and trying things out as I am broke, hah! Pulled a weird outfit together today.... :P Off I go! (Not overly enthused by some Feragamo's I've tried either... has put me off trying everything...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your outing! If you manage to abstain, you have to teach me how as well. :)) I still haven't got a clue on how to do except not leaving the house.
    Today I'm wearing Chanel Chance, I needed something bright and happy on this rainy (again) day.

    ReplyDelete