Monday, February 21, 2011

Giving in to my perfume sweet tooth - Un Bois Vanille

I find it both interesting and telling that at this point in month, the two perfumes that made such an impression are both sweet. :)

First, I'm forever thankful to the Perfume Posse for hosting that incredible mass swap before Christmas, I got so many wonderful things in exchange, I still need to go through them properly.

One of the things I received was the decant of Un Bois Vanille as I never tried it before and since I, well, like pretty much anything coming from SL line, I wanted to try it. It took a while for me to take it out (two days ago actually) and I decided to spray it on without testing it first.

It wasn't a mistake. :)

In my case at least. I'm not sure though how many people actually appreciate burnt caramel smell. But it's so wonderfully done! I keep getting that burnt caramel/sugar vibe with some smoke hidden under that heaviness but it's so good. (I'm doing a little happy dance in my chair just thinking about it) :)

Before you start thinking that's all there is to it, I do get traces of vanilla, the one that makes me love Vanilia by L'Artisan (why in the world did they decide to discontinue it?!).

For me the burnt caramel never truly goes away but it certainly dissipates enough to get you to smell a nutty (slightly bitter) vibe and then it just dries down to a less sweet (not that it was too sweet in the first place) woody burnt caramel/nuttiness. The burnt part has here already been mostly cleared by the wind.

Notes: Black vanilla absolute, licorice, sandalwood, coconut milk, beeswax, caramelized benzoin, bitter almond, Gaiac wood, tonka bean


P.S. I do wish I got a 10ml decant instead of 5ml.

22 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you reviewed this! I agree with everything you said about it. It's one of my favorites because it's so easy to wear. It smells like a caramel frappuccino or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ines I like this one too. It needs that slight smokiness/burnt smell to though in my opinion, otherwise it would become too cloying. It's great for a cold day when you need some comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great - now I want to try it... The scent sounds really lovely. I am usually 'afraid' of sweets, somehow this one appears really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Bois de Vanille, one of my favorite Lutens perfumes for the cold season. I get a lot of licorice, which I love in a scent but not to eat - strange ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joan, you're right, it is easy to wear which is not often the case with SL scents (at least with those I own). I can spray this one on without considering whether I'll be able to pull it off during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, it seems I'm late to this one, everyone knows already how great it smells. :)
    It is comforting but not exceedingly so, for something with so many sweet notes, it's actually incredible how unthreating the sweetness is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jolanta, even though it sounds at it might be very sweet, it never is. It's simply a wonderful perfume made around a burnt caramel note (god, I'm stuck with that burnt caramel). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olfactoria, I don't like licorice either. But for some reason, I have problems recognizing it in perfume.
    At least I have enough Bois Vanille left to wear and try to sniff it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice review Ines, glad your swaps were so fruitful. Have you tried PG's Aomassai? It is my perfume of choice for burnt caramel/nuttiness. Oh and totally agree about the discontinuation of Vanilia, just crazy. I was just about to buy a bottle for layering when it disappered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tara. I don't think I've tried Aomassai (I haven't yet gone through the whole PG line) as I think I'd remember such delicious accord.
    Oh well, one more thing on the list of perfumes to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got some Bois Vanille on the way to me right now. Your review just confirms I made a great trade!! I can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alice, I can't say differently, you made a great trade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love burnt caramel and was trying to remember which perfumes I like with that in it. How could I forget this one?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Victoria, do you have any other suggestions for me? I really do enjoy it and don't mind adding to my collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful post!
    HI!my name's martina and I come form Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want, follow me! I wait you and your tips! kiss kiss
    marti
    Glamour Marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Martina, thank you for stopping by and the nice words. :)
    I'm off to check your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhh, I adore Un Bois Vanille. The instant when that bitterness peeks out from the sweetness is one of my favorite perfume moments. So happy you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Olenska, after reading the comments, I really feel late to Un Bois de vanille - everyone seems to know it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Un Bois Vanille is a party to which you can never arrive too late. If we got here earlier, it's only so that we could get the champagne chilled and find hiding places to leap from shouting joyfully, "SURPRISE!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol
    Meg, that's great! I don't mind arriving to such a party at any time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice review, I have not had the Un Bois Vanille before, but I am gonna find out how I am gonna get it now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SDMP, thank you. Do try it, it really is worth the while.

    ReplyDelete