Monday, August 16, 2010

Laurell K. Hamilton: Skin Trade

It doesn't really happen that often that I cannot remember what the book was about or that I actually forget I read it.  I was completely sure when starting Skin Trade that I never read it before. Which was ok because I felt like reading it for the first time (even after I remembered some parts but didn't remember how it ends).

So, Vittorio from Incubus Dreams (that's where we met him first) sets a trap for Anita in Las Vegas and she has no choice but to get there (while Jean-Claude is still asleep so cannot argue against it). But since this is an already known vampire serial killer, Edward, Olaf and Bernardo also come to play. This is where we get to see Olaf trying to get more quality time with Anita (from his perspective of course).

 Spoilers ahead again. :)

And since Master of Las Vegas animal to call is a were-tiger and Anita is carrying the top were-tiger lycnathopy, there is a whole new set of problems with that. Standard stuff of the last several Anita books. :) While trying to find the resting place of Vittorio through the were-tiger that is helping him, they also seem to realize that there was not only a vampire problem the police in Las Vegas was dealing with but a demon as well. That turns out to be a lesser problem because Vittorio is not just an ordinary master vampire. He is Father of the Day to Mother of all Darkness who she stripped of some of his powers but they seem to be returning in this book. Of course, Anita is there to deal with that problem. :)
What interests me more is what happened with Marmee Noir? I mean the vampire council feared her waking so much that they blew up her resting place. But for some reason I cannot believe that was the end of her. :) You don't get rid of the mother of all vampires just like that. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I agree about the Mother of All Vampires... gone too easy. Olaf is rising in creep factor and I am loving it! Also loving that we learn a little more about Anita's tigers instead of being always confused.

    My review is up now too.

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. SVZ, I love that Olaf's creep factor and interaction with Anita got more space in this. :) They just make for such good reading.
    And it's trie what you say about tigers, it does seem like we are grasping at conclusions without actually getting them.

    ReplyDelete