Monday, December 14, 2009

WoW: Shana Galen


I'm a bit late with this, I actually skipped last week (that's because I didn't want to talk about Kresley Cole again so soon). So, I finished When Dashing met Danger yesterday and it was good. It wasn't bad and I can't say it was terribly fascinating but there might be 2 reasons to that:

1) It's that time of the month when nothing is good enough (except DSH's Piment and Chocolat I tried today and it smells absolutely wonderful, like thick, dark, hot chocolate spiced with chili)

2) The heroine is only 20 and therefore from my perspective somewhat (ok, more than somewhat) naive and full of herself in a way I cannot understand, which does not make it bad, just not something I can relate with and hence, lost on me.

The story actually gets better the more it progresses towards the end, when I actually stopped being annoyed with the relationship between the male character and female. For a novel that didn't really make it into a "read again" category, I seem to be thinking a lot about it. I'm actually wondering at the characterization of the two main characters. Since I cannot relate to her behaviour, I cannot actually tell if it is good or bad (in character with the heroine). I find that strange and any help on understanding it better will be appreciated. :)

I know I already talked about how I sometime skip books because I don't like the blurbs and I need to point that out once more. I had my copy of this book for quite some time now (measurable in years) and I only started on it the other day because it was the only romance novel I had at hand. Sometimes I think that people who write that, write it for romance beginners and not for us who have been reading this for years and years.
Anyway, I wasn't thrilled but I will definitely give Shana Galen another try, I think there might be some goodness in it for me in the future.


4 comments:

  1. Chocolate + chili-- that sounds like it's good for what ails you in the winter!!

    I love the cover of this book, BTW-- I haven't been reading any fiction at all for more than a year now, but that one looks like fun... I so admire that you can read (and write!!) so well in English. I had enough French to read a few novels many years ago, and enough Spanish to read the newspapers, but it just made my head hurt...
    -Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I totally get that, the bit about those of us who has been reading for sometime but I thank that as a lot to do with the publishers. They don't seem to want anything too different for the usual romance.
    Warm regards,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, you need to try this combination. I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful it smells.
    Arrrgh! I don't want to spend more money on perfume! :(
    Btw, English was one of my majors here (although the university system differs a lot from American) so I should be able to express myself in English rather OK. I mean, my professors would be upset if that weren't the case. ;)
    I just wish our system would give us a more comprehensive knowledge in at least one area, and not general kknowledge of every possible aspect that can be attributed to a language.
    Sorry, that is one of the things I hold against our system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simone, I'm so glad to hear someone understands this. I thought it was only in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete