Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to wear Bulgari scents?

I'm totally baffled when it comes to Bulgari. I try them and I like the way they are done and the way they smell, but they are not me. I haven't found a single one I can fall in love with, or at least develop a friendship so we can hang together. And it's not that they incompatible with my skin chemistry, I think they develop just nicely.



I was shopping the other day in one of my used to be favorite perfumery in Zagreb, Martimex and I left (after spending a nice amount) with 3 perfume samples (I'm not counting 3 perfume cards). The SA sort of apologetically whispered that that was all they had. The same happened some 2 moths ago as well. So, I hope they fix it, otherwise I don't see they have a future among Sephora, Limoni and Douglas.


Today I wanted to talk about the sample I got, Bulgari Blv, edp II.

Notes: violet, star anise, liquorice, frosted mandarine, jasmine petals, iris, fresh lily of the water, patchouli, vetiver, ambergris, benzoin, labdanum, tonka, musk.

They went completely for the blue in every sense - all the flowers, gemstones, makeup on Laetitia Casta - everything is ranging from light/frosted blue to darker blue but not really dark blue. Then it hit me, I think one of the reasons I just don't own and wear Bulgari scents is that all of those I've tried, they all smelled cold and distanced. And those are not qualities I look for in anything (or anyone). But Bulgari makes it smell good. :)


Anyway, on to the smell itself. I had serious problems trying to discern any notes from it. It goes on fresh, cool and somewhat reminds me of aquatic (maybe beacuse of all the blue). But since I pretty much hate aquatic notes and I don't hate this, I guess it's just my imagination. What I got from the initial blast was that there is some flower in it (I didn't have the notes yet) and that there was also a hint of some fruit but I didn't think it was anything citrusy. Maybe frosted mandarin can count as something less citrusy than, you know, lemon. :)


In my standard fashion, I realized the opening reminded me terribly of something else I smelled, but of course I couldn't remember. But this time, after some 30 minutes I think I know what it reminded me of - L'eau d'Issey. But it's been quite a while since I smelled it last and I could be wrong.


So, it goes down this well blended road where I keep wondering how is it possible that they created it so seamlessly that I cannot decipher where are the individual notes? I felt totally stupid but I'll try again soon. :) I did get the opening well enough, but after that, it was - where's jasmine, iris? I don't smell iris. It says there's patchouli in this, hmmm.



Even the drydown which is supposed to have all those nice, warmish notes is a mistery to me. It keeps the cool, distant aspect through it all although you can feel the underlying well maybe not exactly warmt but, warmish breeze. If the whole scent was more like the drydown, I would probably go through my samples faster. :)

This way, I keep wondering what is it with me and Bulgari? I had such high hopes with Omnia Green Jade after realizing the drydown is great, but it takes long to get there and I just am not a patient person.

In the end, I think they are completely correct in the manner they advertise it, it is really this nice crystal, frosted, blue fragrance.



4 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you have a brilliant nose. I got a bottle of Gardénia by Chanel from my grandmother after they stoped selling my Safari by Ralph Lauren locally but I'm have trouble finding it here in Canada. Why are sents so troublesome?
    Thanks for sharing.
    All the very best,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Simone, thank you for saying so :) - but I have so much more to learn. And not only regarding fragrance. But that's fun. I just wish I had more time to pursue everything I find interesting.
    Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you so much about Blv II-- not that many people seem to have tried it. I just think it's one of those scents that wasn't designed to be worn on the skin. The one Bvlgari scent that BREAKS MY HEART is Au The Vert, which, on paper, is heart-breakingly lovely, but on me smells like a wet tea bag after 10 minutes. Boo!

    The one I'm wrestling with now is Bvlgari Black-- I'm trying to decide: do I love it? Is it a cliche? Can both be true?

    Rita @leftcoastnose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand your problem with Au The Vert - it's not only this one but several others tea scents that get killed on me.
    Of course both can be true. :) But that doesn't mean love is not strong. You know, now I come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever tried the original Black... I'll have to remedy that soon. I know I've considered buying both Green Jade and Jasmine Noir but in the end I just wasn't swept away.

    ReplyDelete